25 January 2010

The Original Soul Food...

Chocolate Chip Cookies (with a twist)!


I got this recipe from a work friend and was so excited by the results I thought I would share.  The cookies have both oatmeal and rice krispies in them which really adds a lot to the traditional chocolate chip cookie.  If it weren't for those two ingredients, I probably wouldn't have even attempted these.  So glad I did!


Ingredients & Directions:


Cream these together in order one at a time:
*1 cup margarine or butter (make sure it is unsalted or that is all you'll taste)

*1 cup white sugar (I use splenda to reduce the overall sugar content)

*1 cup brown sugar (I use 1/4 cup sugar twin and 3/4 cup real brown sugar)

*1 cup canola oil (I use 1/2 cup canola and a 1/2 cup applesauce)

*1 egg

*2 teaspoons vanilla

*1 teaspoon soda

*1 teaspoon cream of tartar

*1/8 teaspoon salt (optional, I never use it)


Next add:

*3 1/2 cups flour, one cup at a time (I use whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour, but white is fine)

Lastly, add one at a time:

*12 oz. chocolate chips (I prefer dark chocolate, but any will do)

*1 cup oatmeal

*1 cup Rice Krispies


Put the dough in the fridge to chill for a bit before baking.  A half hour will do just fine.


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees while you wait for the dough to chill.


You can either drop these by spoonfulls or roll into balls.  I collect a large tablespoon of dough, roll into a ball, and then flatten a bit with my palm on the pan.


Bake in the preheated oven for about 8 minutes.  


These cookies tend to get crispy so I only do 8 minutes.  Remove from the pan and place on a wire rack until cool.  Once these are cool and I put them in my cookie jar, I always add a slice of bread.  Like I said, these do tend to get crispy and I like them a bit softer.  The bread does the trick :)


Verdict:  These are some of the best chocolate chip cookies I've had in my entire life.  I consider myself a cookie connoisseur so that says a lot. 


Enjoy!!

1 comment: